24 May 2010

22MAY2010


I haven't been very good at posting for a while, mostly because I didn't think that the work that was being done was very visable.  Today I got the beams for the second floor installed and removed all of the extra interior bracing.  It is pretty nice to have all that extra lumber out of the way so that I can see how much space is on the first floor. 



Tomorrow I am going to start installing the 3/4" flooring and, unless something really changes, the second floor walls should be going up the end of the week.  I am going to have to get the window, roof, and siding guys some time frame so that they can get their work done.



Using some different fasteners that Lake Union Dry Dock uses to build their piers.  This is a Star Drive lag which has amazing pullout and shear strength in the doug fir.  Might be a bunch of over kill, but using these I don't have to toe-nail anything and I get a much tighter joint.  I think that the shear on these is close to 3500 pounds and pull out is around 800 pounds.  You can physically feel the house tighten each time I drive another one of these home.

Since the weather isn't too bad and it is light from 5am to 9 pm now I plan on hitting it hard this week and next.  Gotta love this latitude in the summer, not like that depressingly dark island that my son lives on where the sun doesn't come up until 6 and sunset is at 7 every day of the year. 


No comments:

Post a Comment