02 May 2010

One of the carpenters measured the house for square on Friday and found that it really squared up nicely.  It seems like the moment frames that the welders installed were leaning in just a bit but when the temporary supports were removed and the walls were banged into place the house was square.  That is a relief to me but it was what was expected by the yard.  Trust experience.



One of the huge Crowley ocean going pusher tugs, Ocean Reliance, is in next to Caratello.  Her bridge is 86 feet above the water line.  Next to her is the barge crane Seahorse. 

Caratello from the bridge of the Ocean Reliance.  Pretty small from 86' in the air, but the red really shows!

I finished up framing out the windows on the first deck today.  Added a few extra studs for strength and painted more primer on bare metal.  I spoke with the mill about the beams and they should be ready for pickup this week, they were in the dryer and still needed to be finished.  Then I can start working on the floor for the second deck.   Until the beams are ready I will be building the interior walls on the first deck and doing some more pickup work that always seems to need to be done.  Craig, the engineer, wants me to epoxy the bottoms of the plywood sheathing to protect it from getting wet and rotting.  I'll have to get a couple of nice days to do that work, but everything that I do like this will help keep me from having to fix something down the road.  As long as things don't rot or rust too much in the next 30 years is all I ask.

Double click on any of the images to enlarge them.

No comments:

Post a Comment