19 June 2010

The Summer Solstice - and it is still cold and rainy.

I have been remiss in keeping this blog up to date and I have heard about it from several of you.  Between working on Caratello and other things...  Well as Bluto so aptly put it in Animal House "sorry (shrug)".


Got more of the exterior walls up and placed the roof beams this week.  The beams took a full day of planning and a couple more days to install.  The first thing to do was make a jig so that each of the beams would fit nice and tight.  Each of the beams was cut to the exact length and then the jig was used to drill holes for the bolts and a pilot hole for the slot that needed to be cut into each end of he beam.  The slot was cut using a sawsall, not a tool known for it's fine finish tool.  The slot was very carefully cut and then dressed out to make room for the weld at each beam tab on the steel arches.  The final step was to set the beam, pound it into place, and lock it into place with two stainless steel carriage bolts on each end.


Barbara decided that she didn't really want an aft deck on the second level since that faced I-5.  Not the view you would enjoy with a bottle of wine and a cheese plate.  The aft stateroom/office will have a large window instead.





The HVAC system was set and I have been working on the plumbing for that and the bilge pumps.  I put the water and waste tanks in the hold.  I'm really glad that we made one of the frames removable because I wouldn't have been able to get the tanks in otherwise.  It is amazing how much junk ended up in the bilges, but between the shop vacuum and brushes I got things cleaned up.  Two days later I need to get the shop vac back down there, gravity still seems to work.


The plans called for 3/4" tongue and groove plywood to sheath the roof, but I found that didn't work very well on a barrel roof.  It is really hard to bend T&G plywood.  So I set off on a quest for a better product.  After many hours I found that 1x4 T&G fir flooring would work out nicely.  It bends, it is really strong, and it will look great since you will see it from below.  These are just some test pieces, the real ones won't be so weathered.


The next jobs to tackle are the roof and getting the windows in then getting the siding put on.  Things have been slowed down a bit due to the weather, I don't work as quickly when I'm cold and wet.  There have also been a few changes to the design.  The center beams had to be reworked because they didn't fit a expected so the steel guys did some cutting and welding.  The nice thing about steel is that you can lop off chunks and, unlike wood, you can add to it.

I'm going to put the jigs and other tools in the bow rake (front of the hull under the deck) with some spare parts and instructions.  With any luck who ever has to replace things in 50 years won't have to do as much trial and error as I have gone through.  Everybody that comes by seems to think that it will still be a home on Lake Union in a hundred years, kind of a nice thought.



No comments:

Post a Comment