22 September 2010
The siding panels showed up today. The 70 foot flat bed semi had a hard time backing down the pier to Caratello but, after much jockeying, wound it's way through the maze of buildings and equipment. The riggers at Lake Union Dry Dock off loaded the truck with a couple of fork lifts and they will swing the panels for the starboard side over to the work barge tomorrow. Cory from Ballard Sheet Metal said that he and Nick and a couple of other guys should be throwing the tin on all day tomorrow. That will be nice!
They finished up installing the trim around the windows and started on the facia at the roof line. When they are done with the facia and gutters I will have to get the roofers back to do a little more work that they couldn't do until the metal was in place.
Before Ballard Sheet Metal got too far along I put down another bead of caulk where the house meets the deck. Once again I used the 3M #5200 marine sealant, this stuff is suppose to last forever and is near impossible to remove once it is cured.
Other things that happened yesterday and today: Dave and Nick from Vaughn Mechanical came out and finished up ducting and plumbing the HVAC system. I had them add a vent in each of the heads because the in floor heat that Barbara had wanted would have consumed too much electricity. I also did more work on insulation and plumbing.
With any luck I'll be able to get Caratello moved over to the permanent moorage before Barbara gets back from her vacation to Italy. I really like working at Lake Union Dry Dock, but it is getting to be time to move on.
Posted by Toby at 20:45
19 September 2010
The tin men from Ballard Sheet Metal came by and started putting up flashing. They ran out of metal so they say that they will be back next week to do more. The panels are being cut and the corners are being bent somewhere between Seattle and the house in Bonney Lake. Hopefully they will be delivered early next week and BSM can get the siding up. I'm getting tired of looking at orange.
The plumbing is going in too. I'm using a plastic piping system called PEX. It goes together with crimped on connectors instead of soldering copper lines. Much easier to get into the walls, supposedly lasts longer than copper, and no nasty burns from dripping molten solder. The drains for the second deck head have been a real head scratcher for me. There just didn't seem to be a good way to run the pipes, but after looking at it for months I found a very small area that would work. I got the pipes tucked into the only possible spaces and they will be hidden from view.
Posted by Toby at 06:51