19 September 2010

Plumbing, Doors, and Essential Ballast

Got the two back doors on now so all of the doors and windows are in place.  These french doors weigh a lot but I was fortunate that the delivery guys from Milgard helped me put them on the stern of Caratello.  For the first one I put my skills of leverage and cribbing to work to get it installed by myself.  After getting the doors in I discovered, by accident, that the doors lift off the frame pretty easily.   It was amazing how much less work it was installing the second door!

The tin men from Ballard Sheet Metal came by and started putting up flashing.   They ran out of metal so they say that they will be back next week to do more.  The panels are being cut and the corners are being bent somewhere between Seattle and the house in Bonney Lake.  Hopefully they will be delivered early next week and BSM can get the siding up.  I'm getting tired of looking at orange.






The plumbing is going in too.  I'm using a plastic piping system called PEX.  It goes together with crimped on connectors instead of soldering copper lines.  Much easier to get into the walls, supposedly lasts longer than copper, and no nasty burns from dripping molten solder.  The drains for the second deck head have been a real head scratcher for me.  There just didn't seem to be a good way to run the pipes, but after looking at it for months I found a very small area that would work.  I got the pipes tucked into the only possible spaces and they will be hidden from view.

Here Barbara is making fine adjustments to the ballast before I load it into the hold.  She made two trips to the Garagiste, one of her favorite wine mongers, to pick up ballast that has been accumulating for a couple of years. 










Part of the ballast in place in the hold.  After the rest of Caratello is finished I will be making a more permanent storage system.  I was pretty impressed with how 40 cases of wine brought the hull into trim.  This shipment covered most of a sheet of plywood decking and brought the starboard side down by over an inch and the port side up by as much.  I know that this will be a constant chore keeping Caratello in trim and we will need help shifting ballast from time to time.

We have developed a fairly complex reballasting program:  with no pumps to shift the wine we will have to
1)  manually extract the bottles from the hold
2)  open each bottle as it comes out of the hold
3)  filter the contents through volunteers
4)  relocate the filtered product to temporary storage tanks
5)  have the volunteers move the ballast to the holding tank
6)  have the pump out service remove that ballast
7)  go to the wine store and buy more ballast
8)  reload the ballast in the correct position
9)  repeat.

I keep finding more and more of the materials that make up Caratello that are produced in the USA.  Things like the wire and cable, piping, steel parts, most of the wood is marked as US produced.  I just wish that I could get more.  I am really disappointed in many of the tools that I have been using on the job.  DeWalt use to make some pretty decent stuff, but since they moved their manufacturing to China they are lousy.  Unfortunately I am locked into their battery system since most of my tools are DeWalt.  I started buying Festool products and they seem to be built well, their track saw has made breaking down sheets of plywood really easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment