30 October 2010

Moved to a different part of the yard

Since Unimak is coming back this weekend we had to move back a little in the shipyard. We took the place that Ruby VIII had and Ruby is back of us now.

We loaded the appliances on Thursday. It was much more difficult getting them in the back of the green pickup than it was getting them on board. We hired some movers to come out and manhandle them from the garage to the pickup here at the house. When I got them up to the shipyard the riggers brought the crane over, we slung them with non-stretching nylon web straps (like truckers use), then swung them onto the back deck of Caratello where I had a ramp set up. It was really easy to slide them into place, even the 480 pound range! God I love machines that keep me from hurting myself. I got the primer and the first coat of paint on the galley walls today. Tomorrow Barbara is coming up to help me put the second coat on and get the place cleaned up.

The tin guys showed up like elves and fixed two of the four downspouts. I think I was down looking at the other houseboat when they showed up. Never saw them and they never let me know they were there. I'll have to call them and ask what is up with the other two spouts and the two other problems they left.

I found an older picture that shows my saw station on the second deck. It seems like it was a long time ago that I had a plastic sheet for a roof and no windows or doors.

17 October 2010

Playing in the mud and loading essential stores

Barbara had me pickup two more truck loads of ballast. Lucky me, this load was mostly rieslings, yum! There isn't any more room for wine now and Caratello has a noticeable list to port. I'll worry about the port list after everything is onboard. Right now it is just entertaining that the glass doors on the starboard side close on their own.

I spent the day taping the walls. I'm pretty sure that I got at least as much of the drywall compound on my shirt and pants as I did on the walls. Tomorrow I sand then put another coat of mud on the walls. I hope to get the walls painted on the first deck by the end of the week. I will feel like I have accomplished something and will be able to move on to the second deck.

Barbara picked out the paint color for the first deck. It is some shade of gray/green called "timothy hay". I still can't convince women that there are only about ten colors for men. "Timothy hay" and "persimmon" aren't colors and neither are "sea foam" and "taupe".

15 October 2010

No pictures today

No good pictures to post today. The caulker finished up with his work and he did a great job. Still waiting on Ballard Sheet Metal to come back to finish the drain spouts. They do pretty good work when they show up, it is just getting them out to work. "We'll be out tomorrow" seems to be code for "we'll be out whenever we show up if we show up at all".

Still working on the interior, I have most of the MDO up on the first deck and have started up the stairwell. Barbara says the interior is starting to look less like a construction site and more like a home.

Barbara is going to pick up another big load of "ballast" at the Garagiste tomorrow. I'm not sure how much more we can stuff into the hold.

Rodger Morris, the surveyor, came by and did an initial survey for the insurance company. He seemed to think that Caratello was pretty well constructed compared to some of the houseboats he has seen in his career. He didn't identify anything major that needed correction after crawling through the bilges and poking around for about 5 hours.

The plan right now is to relocate Caratello just as soon as we put the appliances on board in the next couple of weeks.

Next post I'll have more pictures.

11 October 2010

The push is on to finish Caratello

The tin men and the roofers are pretty well finished with the exterior. The only things that I have left outside is to add some cedar trim, clean up the stainless steel rail, and do some touch up painting.

Inside I have been puting up the wall board. I am using medium density overlay (MDO) which is plywood with a resin and paper layer on one side. It is about half the weight of drywall. As you know by now weight is the main thing that you need to think about when building a boat. Well weight, and holes that would let water in, and making sure that Barbara and Jim at the bank are happy.

I have also been working on the 12 volt system that will power the LED lighting, navigation lights, VHF FM radio, and a few other things. The battery manufacturer, Dyno Batteries, said that I should use golf cart batteries because they are less expensive and will work just as well, if not better, than marine batteries. Gotta like a company that is honest about his product, will save you money, and makes their product right here in Seattle.

I fabricated a mount for the raw water strainer then installed that big chunk of brass. This will filter water that comes into the hull through the sea chest for cooling. I had the pipe fitters at Lake Union Dry Dock put in the piping from the sea chest to the strainer. They used copper-nickel 2" pipes which will last a lot longer than the hull which, in turn will out last me. It has been an education learning about the different metals used in ship building.

01 October 2010

Corners are almost all on now

The corners are almost all on now. I still have a lot of work on the interior and some of the systems, but it is starting to feel pretty darn good.

Gene Morris stopped by again to help work on trimming Caratello. While moving ballast we sat on the lower fore deck and enjoyed the evening. Winds kicked up a few times but the boat was nice and stable. A great blue heron landed on a float near us, spent some time doing what ever herons do then left for the evening. What a great place to sip wine, I mean shift ballast, and watch the evening progress. Note to Barbara: get more Sondraia 2005, it was tasty!