01 May 2011

Caratello hits the high seas! Farewell Lake Union Dry Dock - Hello Allison Marina

Sorry about the long time between posts.  After I went to Mexico I had to refinish my Mom's house so that I could rent it out and catch up on some things around the Bonney Lake house. 

I also had to carry luggage for the Admiral on a trip to Epernay where I was tasked with being her duty driver.  An arduous regime of driving from one winery to another to sample champagne.  Stopping at World War I battlefields, cemeteries, and monuments then slopping down at French diners.

Captain Heather is at the Helm of Bandit while
Captain Brian Campbell yells at me to quit taking
pictures and handle lines.


Cole Kiphart handling lines as
Caratello sets the special sea detail
I did work on Caratello since the last post so she was ready for sea, or at least Lake Union.  At 08:15 on 29APR2011 the Admiral, and her able crew, cast off from the pier at Lake Union Dry Dock enroute to her home port.  Hmmm, I guess I should get Barbara a Command at Sea pin now.

Brian, Kelli, and Heather from Campbell Maritime took tow on Caratello with the tug Bandit while Admiral Barbara and the deck crew of Cole and Dale Kiphart, John Lockhart, and Don and Heidi Blankenship took in the lines.  The two hours of deck seamanship in boot camp came in handy for me.

Bandit and Caratello steam past the Space Needle

Caratello with the Aurora Bridge in the distance



Caratello was a pretty sight as she cruised past the Space Needle and the AGC building.  Another nice view with the Aurora Bridge in the background.  You may recall from previous posts that the crane that launched Caratello was one of two that built the bridge in 1931/32.
Kelli lining Heather up with the fairway

I stayed behind and took the Jetta to the new berth where I handled the lines.  Here Caratello comes down the fairway to the marina.
Volga Boatman John Lockhart
Heidi, Dale, and John making sure
that nothing goes bump
All in all a very sucessful day.  Good friends and no mishaps.  Caratello is moored port side to in a very beautiful place.
A very happy Admiral B after the shake down cruise of Caratello.
You have the wrong coat on though.

Everyone that worked on Caratello had to deal with a project that was just outside of the norm for them.  An owner built houseboat of this scope isn't something that is an everyday project but everyone went with the flow and came up with solutions that worked and looked great!  Thanks again to everyone that made this a great day:

Lake Union Dry Dock and all the guys and ladies that work there
Campbell Maritime
Abodian Cabinents
Ballard Sheetmetal
Vaughn Mechanical
All Weather Rooftop
Alaskan Copper
Jim Roth at Columbia Bank
Dick Burke at Rich Haney Insurance
MotoInternational (the Admiral bought me a Moto Guzzi for Christmas!)

- Toby

No comments:

Post a Comment